Thursday, February 21, 2008

If a bum can live there, I can afford it.

I have realized being broke has put some limitations on getting out. Nightlife is a challenge (that we are trying to work out), but during the day it is like a walk in the park. Really, get off your ass and walk your self to the park. Golden Gate Park has a lot to do, maybe even too much. I mean really, who is going to go fly fishing in a little stagnant pond with no fish. I think I should change gears before I ruin it, because the park has so much to offer that most people don't know about.

Firstly, if you are going there with zero dollars you can enjoy...people watching? There are trails, grass fields and picnic areas covering the whole place so you can enjoy just being outside and whoever you are with. If that certain someone is kind of boring and you still don't have any coins there are free guided tours at the San Francisco Botanical Garden . But if you are not fifty yet and would like a little more action in your day, the disc golf course would do you right. Come equipped with the discs and the course is free.

If you want to leave the park a little more cultured, you have some things to choose from on little cost. Firstly, the Japanses Tea Garden is pure serenity in the crowded city. If I remember correctly it is free if you go in for the last hour or so. I say just pay the $5 so you have the time to sink into the pace of the gardens. It is well worth it. Right next door is the De Young Museum It is free if you go on the first Tuesday of the month. If not its about 10 bucks, and you save $2 if you show a Muni pass or transfer. I got there within the last half hour of closing so I got in free and ran through only one of the many halls they have. I don't recommend seeing it in that fashion, but walked passed it and walked in.

So thats that. There is so much more in this park than you could tell from the outside. Just go in a explore the place. Finding new things don't cost a damn thing. However actually doing them might, so tough rocks.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Caleb,

I hope that you are having a nice day! I really enjoy your blog. There are so many great things that we can take advantage of here in SF for FREE! I'm the type of person that makes weekly and monthly goals. For a month I tried to challenge myself to be entertained with out spending any money, I was tired of my old routine. In the process I found this website funcheapsf.
and I also used craigslist. I am proud to say that my goal has turned into a habit. As a matter a fact I'm going to a free dance class this Saturday at the Mission Cultural center. I can bring you the flier if you are interested to blog on the event? Either way I hope your blog inspires others because this is a great idea in a society that is constantly pressuring us to CONSUME!! Have a nice weekend and take care!

Yours for justice,
Josie

B. Ward said...

Free is one of my favorite words. You ever notice how everything is better when its free? Food,movies,sex,advice.Everything seems more enjoyable when you don't have to pay for it.I expect that golden gate park is no exception. I drive by there all the the time when I'm headed to the Haight for some sangria at Cha Cha Cha's. There is one thing about the park that is a turn off to a lazy sumbitch such as myself, its mad big and at night scarrry...But good advice on the cheanvp date. I heard they got pedal boats too.

John Eightclip said...

A stroll up Strawberry Hill which is in the middle of one of the lakes in Golden Gate Park offers a great view of the panhandle and if its clear enough all the way downtown. I took the stroll up the hill for a little relaxation. It takes you to the top of a waterfall. Anyways, just a good little side note.

Grant said...

Wow Caleb. Looks like you been around Golden Gate Park and know your way around it. De Young Museum, Botanical Gardens, Conservatory of Flowers and the Japanese Tea Garden are places in the park I would like to return to. But one of my favorite places in Golden Gate Park that I would love to return to, and I recommend you go to this, is the California Academy of Sciences, set to reopen later this year.