Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Drinks are on me…only from 4-7

Working the city to fit your budget means you must be flexible. We all know what that’s about, and some of us do it a little better than others. This includes knowing the bus routes and figuring out the next best way once you miss it. It means to hold out on eating till Wednesday because you know that is when the new coupon period begins. Above all of these different aspects of having little leisure money, I have mastered the pinnacle of flexibility. I can get drunk by seven.

Happy hour has become a valued commodity in my alcohol consumption. Now I’m no lush, but sometimes your out with friends and you have to make things happen. And so I do. A great place to do so is at Palomino. Like most places the hours are between four and seven. This place is a bargain with $3 draft beers, (about 15ish to choose from) margaritas, mojitos, and house wines. Appetizers are half off, and pizzas are $5. You can easily have a good time and spend the only Jackson you brought. At that hour the place is full of people from the financial district. But you don’t have to talk to them, they are with their own. Plus there is a patio, so you have the bay to stare at with your lazy eye after spending $12 on four drinks. I am quite impressed with the prices and my quick mental math skills.

Another place I must fill you in on is the Cigar Bar. It is a chill place with live music, a pool table, and plenty of lounging space. The deal is $3 draft beers and chips and salsa. So I will admit that I have seen better deals, but the atmosphere makes up for it. The live Latin music doesn’t start till 9:30 on Thursday and 10 on Friday and Saturday (no happy hour on weekends though). But the place still works for a good happy hour. The crowd is made up of mostly creatives from the production houses in the area. There is a heated courtyard, and the place just has a good vibe.

So drinking cheap is not the easiest, unless it is at home by yourself. But that is just sad. So here are some other places I have heard good things about. And if you have any ideas, it will be ok to share. No one is going to read this, you can tell me all the gems you don’t want blown up.

- Calzones

- Little Star Pizza

- Aces- happy hour is all day!

3 comments:

lorena zuluaga said...

I like what you are trying to do with your blog. I mean what I got out of it is that you are going to post helpful information about places that are affordable and happening in the city. I am new to San Francisco so I find your blog interesting and insightful. It is more than often that I don’t know were to go in a Friday night, or for a romantic relatively cheap dinner. If that is what you are trying to do with your blog I recommend CitySearch. I am sorry if it is kind of a given site to look for entertainment but as a new member of San Francisco this have been my helpful guide.

Grant said...

I agree with Lorena. Your blog was well written to describe one of The City's best restaurants. I haven't actually tried Palomino's yet but I would like to some time. Just by reading your blog, it looks like you could even produce a commercial about it. If you know any other restaurants to recommend to us, let us know.

Jesse C. said...

Hey, here is the scoop on some $7 pitchers of sapporo at this sushi place on Van Ness. Tuesday nights! it is just down the street from Bev Mo. Check it son! Also on the topic of sushi, the only reason I am divulging this info is because I figure not many people are going to read this... The best (and cheapest) sushi in the city can be found on 23rd and Irving in the sunset at Yum Yum Fish Market. I kid you not, the papaya salmon roll will bring tears to your eyes and make you swear you hear choirs singing.