Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Riot watch, movies and boring foods

So hopefully you are not going to be near a computer in a few hours. The Olympic Torch is coming to town. This is the only North American stop for the torch run, and San Francisco is lucky enough to host it. The run will start at McCovey Cove, and will end at the Justin Herman Plaza for a little celebration. It starts at one, but unfortunately I will be in class. It seems to be worthy enough of a cause to skip, but group projects are holding me down. No hope for me, and by the time you will read this, chances are it is long gone for you as well. So if you aren’t going to make it, you can still watch it. A website is doing a live feed of the relay and of course protests. It could be a safe place to watch all of the mayhem that is expected.

So if you want something you can actually plan on, there is a free movie tomorrow night. Dolores Park has a free out door movie once a month. Tomorrow night they will be showing Fast Times at Ridgemont High. This is the only movie that actually makes me jealous of the 80s. Good flick.

Now to switch gears to a personal note, I have got to figure out a cheap yet healthy way to eat. This is a problem that most of us face, and it is hard to get out of. Last night I reached a new low. My dinner consisted of three bags of seventy-five cent Corn Nuts. Cheap, flavorful, and crunchy…yes. But is it wholesome and nutritious? Not even a bit. So it is widely known that eating cheap does not usually translate to healthy. The healthy way of life costs money, which leaves most of us in the dark. Fruits and vegetables are a luxury now and are priced in the same manner.

So here are some tips I have used (when I am feeling motivated). It is no fun, but when on a budget, plain tends to be healthy. For me, it takes a rationalization to get through the day. I either eat for health or for taste. It is as simple as that. When I shop for eating at home I focus on things with strict nutritional value. This includes bags of carrots, apples and what ever else is quick and healthy. When getting bread it is always 100% whole wheat. When buying meat it is always turkey. Thing of ground turkey will give you turkey burritos for a week. Deli turkey leads to turkey sandwiches for any meal. Yeah, I’ve done it. And have also with peanut butter sandwiches and eggs. I buy things I could eat quickly at any time of the day, with nutritional value. For the time being I have lost all concepts of breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is more of a matter getting the nutrition regardless of habitual factors.

So that was my little tid bit on trying to eat healthy. I obviously have a flawed system, but it is something to build off of. If you have any thoughts or successful methods for yourself please share them. Mainly so that I don’t die premature, due to damaging habits I create now.

4 comments:

Tony Fantano said...

Great blog you captured the topic of conversation at its breaking point. Before I sat down to do my homework all I could think about was the riots that were probably going on downtown. By focusing the beginning of your blog on the torch protests I was drawn into your blog right away. Since your blog is very innovative you should try to stay one step ahead of popular culture with your content.

From Tony

Claudia said...

Caleb,

I loved the concept of your blog. You have great knowledge of various free activities that I've never heard of.

As a struggling student, I can empathize. I think there are a lot of places that offer great deals.

Growing up in the Mission, I shopped at the various Latin American markets. One of my favorites is La Casa Lucas on 24th and Florida. Read some of the reviews.

Many Latin American and Asian markets offer great deals on fruits and veggies.

Another one of my favorite stores is Trader Joe’s. They offer great deals on tasty food. Their frozen section is a college student’s heaven. They offer frozen burritos and enchiladas for about two-dollars.

Yummy :-)

Shera said...

Beans and rice is a winning and CHEAP combination. At Asian markets, you can buy huge ass bags of rice for cheap and at ethnic markets you can usually gets bulk beans for cheap. Beans and rice=protein.

Here, read this.

Jesse C. said...

I actually really enjoyed this post. The torch run was a mess. Fast Times is awesome. and eating healthy is impossible when you are poor. What does this all mean? THE SKY IS FALLING! For a tidbit of fun check out possibly the greatest movie to ever be created Zombie Strippers